I can be oblivious to time when I’m working or studying. It takes every bit of self-discipline to remain seated at the desk for eight hours, and just get the work done.
I know this is not the most productive way to work. My mind wanders, energy flags, posture shrinks. So I’ve devised a list of mini-break ideas: five simple things that would take up no more than ten minutes of precious time, that are enjoyable, and makes you feel like you’ve had a real break:
- Getting outside with a camera (snapping the first three things that catch your eye)
- Pat, play, chat with animals (I have one of these; this one’s a no-brainer)
- Walk around the block, or on the treadmill for ten minutes (and sprint for at least two these)
- Grab a journal and write a haiku
- Make a coffee or tea and savour the slow ritual of making (and if the sun is shining, drink it outside)